2020-2021 Theme: #CodeYourCity
Artists often pull inspiration from the world around them in order to bring their artwork to life. This year, for our 6th annual competition, we’re challenging Code/Artists to do the same!
Some ways to do this: code a self-portrait backdrop representative of where you live, code yourself wearing attire indicative of your environment or culture, or think even more outside of the box to tell us about you and your community!
Whether it’s literal or figurative, we challenge girls to create a coded self-portrait that’s inspired by their community, their culture, and the place they call home!
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: FEB. 12, 2021 @ 11:59 PM EST
People’s Choice Voting
- Ten (10) finalists (per region) will be selected for each grade division from a first round of online voting. An additional two (2) finalists per grade division will be selected by Code/Art judges using this RUBRIC.
- The final round of voting will happen online during the virtual Code/Art Fest celebratory event on March 20, 2021 to determine the 1st place winner for each division group (per region).
- All finalists will be required to submit a photo of themselves to accompany their entry in the final round of voting.
- Submission Deadline: Feb. 12, 2021
- Participants must be female-identifying or gender non-binary student in grades 3-12.
- Grade divisions are grades 3-5, 6-8 and 9-12.
- All design elements must be coded. No gifs, jpgs, pngs, images from the Khan Academy image library or other graphic files can be part of your portrait.
- Each entry must include a short write-up describing the inspiration behind your code-based artwork (application to theme), how it was coded, what was most challenging, and what was most rewarding.
- See more on Terms & Conditions.
All top winners and finalists are recognized during Code/Art Fest (Virtual Coding Conference for Girls). Each finalist will be recognized by having her entry included in Code/Art’s inaugural coffee table book of coded self-portraits available online or for print on demand. In addition, first-place winners will receive an additional prize to further inspire their coding journey! Examples of past prizes include coding workshops or camp certificates, STEM kits, tech swag, and/or gift cards.
2021 Prizes Provided by:
Code/Art is a Miami-based non-profit whose mission is to increase the number of girls studying computer science by delighting and inspiring them with the creative possibilities of computer programming.
Want to be a Judge?
Code/Art recruits computing professionals from academia and industry to judge student projects. If you have a coding background and would like to volunteer please email email@example.com